Old 23-02-2014, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default That's a Good Job Done

In article ,
says...

Inspired by a nice sunny morning, I went out, spade in hand,
this afternoon and dug over the veggy patch where the peas and
beans are going to go. It's had a two inch blanket of
compost/manure since the autumn waiting to be dug in.

Soil was wetish but workable, but I did use a large board to
stand on (actually part of a church pew!).

Managed to dig over where the root veggies were as well, so I'm
pleased with the day.

Too wet here to prepare potato patch but yesterday morning was sunny,
and mild enough not to need a jacket. I spent it cleaning the old
battered/spottyleaves off the hellebores which are all in flower with
snowdrops among them,cleaned up the wall of dead fern behind them.
Hellebore bed looks good, gave it a feed of pelleted chicken manure.
Then raked up all the twigs dropped on the lawn by our birch and the
neighbours ash. Just the thing to start a waiting bonfire of earlier
prunings. Bonfire site is beside herb garden so got distracted clearing
more dead stems and heads there, to go on it. Decided not to cut back
the buddliea heads yet as in the past few days four bullfinches have
been busy stripping out their seeds. Paused for cup of tea before
lighting bonfire; the heavens opened and that was the end of outdoor
play for the day. Today; rain again.

Janet