Old 23-02-2014, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Good year for bugs?

On 23/02/2014 15:01, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
A couple of days ago I had to clear a load of caterpillars off the lemon
geraniums which have over-wintered under the car port.

Today I found the two lemon trees bound to each other leaf to leaf where
the leaves overlapped.

Again, little green caterpillars which use sticky webs to pull two bits of
a leaf or two leaves together.

At least - I think they were caterpillars.

Googling has turned up sawfly larvae which look much the same but have
more legs.

Need to go and look for some that I missed on first pass.

Cheers

Dave R

Not sure about your geranium caterpillar. I believe more than one type
of caterpillar can be a problem, so you need to spot it and identify it.

Tortrix moth is probably the cause of your lemon tree leaves being
webbed together. Simply unpeel the web layer, find the caterpillar and
squish it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London