Old 23-02-2014, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default That's a Good Job Done

In article ,
says...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote.

Inspired by a nice sunny morning, I went out, spade in hand,
this afternoon and dug over the veggy patch where the peas and
beans are going to go. It's had a two inch blanket of
compost/manure since the autumn waiting to be dug in.

Soil was wetish but workable, but I did use a large board to
stand on (actually part of a church pew!).

Managed to dig over where the root veggies were as well, so I'm
pleased with the day.

I will be surprised if I can get on our allotment soil to do anything like
that for weeks yet, even if it stops raining every day or so. Our soil is
extremely sensitive to being worked if it's not dry enough and that was one
of the first things the oldest inhabitant of our site said to me when I
started there. I tried to rush it one year and learnt my lesson having
destroyed any friability I had built up, in fact put it back to the start
again. Things will just have to catch up and they will.

My problem is not impatience but the fact that I'm not going to
be around for a month, from mid-March to mid-April!

I'm trying to get ahead of myself.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales