Old 23-02-2014, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Here we go again

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

The new area will get the same treatment as the new got last year .
Each transplant will get a measure of manure mixed with the soil
around it . Row crops will get a line of same worked in as I form
the rows . Last year's will be partly planted in corn and pole beans
, possibly that's where I'll plant the kale , lettuces , and bok
choi .

"Bok choi"; eyoww. On 25, Nov. I planted two closely spaced rows
of what was labeled "Organic Baby Pak Choy" along the edge of a bed of
mustard greens and garlic, expecting cute little plants such as were
illustrated on the seed packet; NOT. Those suckers grew so rampantly
that on 14, Dec. had to thin them mercilessly, transplanting a handful
at the end of a second bed. Maybe two weeks ago, I removed all of it
from the first bed and reduced the "handful" in the other to just ten
plants and they won't stop. The "baby" stuff is 20" tall and shows no
sign of slowing down. The remaining plants are spaced, nominally,
6"x6" and I hesitate to think of what they'd do with more space.
Daytime temps already are in the 80° (F) range and it remains to be
seen how the plants cope with heat, although, they still could be
subjected to late season chill, even the possibility of short-term
freezing overnight temps. Right now, they wilt rather badly in
mid-day and require considerable water. I see no evidence of root
knot, a common cause of wilting, but they may be suffering from high
soil temperature in their raised bed, a common malady of "cool
season" plants in these parts. Next year, I'll plant fewer and put
them in a bed that stays shady later into the season.

I'm starting out a little less ambitiously ... I have 6 plants in a
starter tray , we'll see how it goes . I plan on using it fresh-picked for
salads and stirfry , and try to pick it when the leaves are young and tender
.. Got a lot of stuff I'm trying for the first time this year ...
--
Snag