Old 24-02-2014, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Red Kites over the Isle of Wight?

"Darkside" wrote in message ...

In article , David Rance
writes
On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 20:03:10 wrote:

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:32:29 -0000, "Mike Coon"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Have any been reported?

I 'think' I have just seen three over the Shanklin Chine area.

It's common to see a flock of a dozen or so milling around near J8/9 M4.
guess it's not far as the Red Kite soars to the Solent.

They're more likely to be straying from the Sanctuary just off the
M40.

Since they were introduced some years ago in the Stokenchurch area their
numbers have multiplied so that, when we goes from Reading to see my
daughter in Princes Risborough, we see red kites all the way. Most days
they are wheeling over our house here in Caversham.

We *goes* from Reading? You must be local then!

All the above is true but red kites don't spread very fast - only a few
kilometres a year. OTOH they're not hard to identify: if Mike saw three
huge birds with forked tails doing aerobatics and whistling to each
other they were almost certainly red kites.
If they were wedge-tailed, soaring or silent they probably weren't.
--
Sue ]

Thanks for that info Sue. I last saw Red Kites at Goring when I was at the
Regatta there a couple of years ago and why I put 'think' I saw them here.

I went out with the camera later but ......................... no sign

Thanks for the replies folks.

Will do a "Shaw Taylor" ...................... ;-)

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk