Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

Michael Percy writes

Do a reality check with a rainfall map of earth. What you see, the
rainfall isosomethings in the range 0 to 20" closely capture the arid
parts of earth including the deserts. Don't ask me why it does, but it is
a fact. You can't get the same mileage from a transpiration rate map.

That's a rather huge range, to put it mildly, and puts parts of the UK
and europe under your designation of 'desert'. Equally parts of the
world I would describe as 'arid' do indeed have significantly more than
20" rainfall, particularly at low latitude with seasonal intense
rainfall.

Oh well, nothing is perfect. Now you remind me, your definition of
'arid' alternative one, are you still working on it?

Look back in the thread,

In the UK, for example, were I blessed with 10" rainfall evenly spread
through the year to roughly match transpiration I would be growing
massive crops with nary a worry in the world.

Could be quite a tourist attraction too

Not much of a reply, can't you do better?

Heh. Can't take a joke?

Still no answer, I note.

The restriction of cropping isn't confined to low rainfall areas either.

You don't say that. Really, or should I say that is also my impression.
However, there is a bloke here who says if you just got 10" of rain damm
all will grow. Could he be right, and we wrong?

You offered average yields in my area?
With the right timing of rainfall I would be producing similar yields
with a 10" rainfall (probably more) than with my 20" rainfall.

Many areas that have shallow soils but high rainfall cannot be cropped.
Take a look at the west of england, particularly wales northward, and
you will find the vast majority of the farmed area cannot be cropped but
is good stock country. It's rather tricky cropping when you have a 90"
rainfall.

Remember humans are not stupid, they learn if they have to. At least water
would not likely be a limiting factor. The trickyness of cropping when you
have 90" rainfall pales to nothing compared to cropping when you have only
below 10" rainfall to water your crop.

Not if you have 4" of acid soil over bedrock or a 20 degree slope.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.