Old 25-02-2014, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
News[_2_] News[_2_] is offline

Default Good year for bugs?

On 23/02/2014 15:01, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
A couple of days ago I had to clear a load of caterpillars off the lemon
geraniums which have over-wintered under the car port.

Today I found the two lemon trees bound to each other leaf to leaf where
the leaves overlapped.

Again, little green caterpillars which use sticky webs to pull two bits of
a leaf or two leaves together.

At least - I think they were caterpillars.

Googling has turned up sawfly larvae which look much the same but have
more legs.

I had a lot of those on the lemon I brought into the house over winter.
Took over a month before there were no more to deal with. For such
tiny creatures, they don't half eat a lot of lemon leaf. Poor chap
looks more like a swiss cheese plant.

The ones put in the greenhouse don't seem to have suffered to the same
extent.

--
regards
andy