Old 27-02-2014, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening among pines

"SB" == SteveB writes:

SB I have several pines in my back yard. Nothing seems to grow
SB well among them. Is there any secrets about pines and
SB gardening? ph? What plants do well in the pine needles? Can
SB the pine needles be raked occasionally, and kept to a minimum?
SB Are there soil amendments or chemicals that can be added? I am
SB losing space to the pines. Also, the pines provide a lot of
SB shade (duh), so which plants would be pine tolerant AND shade
SB tolerant? Any sites you could provide that might give me info?

Pine forests are often devoid of any underbrush.

Very little will grow through pine needles.

My advice, thin out the pines, and rake the needles
Then you should be able to grow plants appropriate to
your area.

--
Dan Espen