Old 28-02-2014, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies[_2_] Jeff Thies[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening among pines

On 2/27/2014 11:18 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/26/2014 4:01 PM, SteveB wrote:
I have several pines in my back yard. Nothing seems to grow well among
them. Is there any secrets about pines and gardening? ph? What plants
do well in the pine needles? Can the pine needles be raked
occasionally, and kept to a minimum? Are there soil amendments or
chemicals that can be added? I am losing space to the pines. Also, the
pines provide a lot of shade (duh), so which plants would be pine
tolerant AND shade tolerant? Any sites you could provide that might
give me info?

Steve

Depending on your climate and soil structure (neither of which you
mentioned), you might be able to grow azaleas and other rhododendrons
and also camellias under the pines. They require an acid soil that
drains very well, soil that is always moist but never wet.

This is my suggestion also, as it is what works for my pines. The
azaleas are monsters.

I have an Oak Leaf Hydrangea that is doing very well there also.

They also
prefer shade. Since they prefer a "lean" soil, the fact that the pines
are grabbing all nutrients would not be a problem.

This seems right, and would explain the success that I have with them.
Thanks.

Jeff

You might also grow ferns and Japanese maples. These too do well with
shade and acid soil. They might require added nutrients.