Old 28-02-2014, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Acer Woes

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:37:46 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I ahve a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum of some sort - I
think!), about 20 years old, 2' 6" high and about 7' across in
one direction, and cut bak to about 4' in the other.

I fell backwards of a step and crash landed on it! It certainly
saved me from potentially serious injury, hitting head on wall
or falling backwards over it, BUT it has suffered somewhat in
the 3 of its 6 main branches have been sheared off at the
trunk. It needed a bit of pruning , but not this severe, and
not from this side!

Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or
can I continue my planned pruning?

Acers are good at re-sprouting. You may find new shoots coming where
the branches sheared off. Just tidy up the wounds and cross your
fingers.
Can you post us a photo?

Pam in Bristol