Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Acer Woes

In article -
september.org, says...

I ahve a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum of some sort - I
think!), about 20 years old, 2' 6" high and about 7' across in
one direction, and cut bak to about 4' in the other.

I fell backwards of a step and crash landed on it! It certainly
saved me from potentially serious injury, hitting head on wall
or falling backwards over it, BUT it has suffered somewhat in
the 3 of its 6 main branches have been sheared off at the
trunk. It needed a bit of pruning , but not this severe, and
not from this side!

Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or
can I continue my planned pruning?

Here is a link to some photo's taken this morning. As you can
see, 2 of the bigest wounds are now bleeding (sap?) which is
running down the trunk.

Sory I did not put in anything for the scale, but height is
about 2' 6"

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2460189141

--
Roger T