Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ,,,and the rains came...

On Friday, February 28, 2014 10:26:56 PM UTC-8, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

Uh, let's look at those factors:

Cost: If Nature (or global warming) continues to dry us up out here

on the West Coast of the U.S. how else are we going to get water for

nearly 40,000,000 in California alone, not counting other affected

states like Arizona & New Mexico. Thirty years since James Hansen

told Congress exactly what would happen and when, it is coming true

as predicted. Even the most corrupt legislator will be forced to

listen to their constituents rather than continuing their long,

well-emunerated love affair with Big Oil, Big Coal, and other

constituents of global warming.

Greenhouse gases: Not sure I see the relevance, but have a look at

what's been happening in the Middle East.

(removed by previous poster: detail of working scalable desalination in the one democracy in the Middle East)

The relevance is that RO is very energy intensive and unless you source your

power from non-fossil sources you will be compounding the problem.

the basic problem is that we've gotten into the

habit of mixing human waste with potable water to

begin with. this compounds many other problems and

they tag along with the whole process. clean up

the basic misconception and you get many benefits

in result. not having to build nuclear

desalinization plants would be one of them (who

needs more chances at Fukushima? are you seriously

considering more nuclear plants in California?

are you really that idiotic? yes, i am seriously

calling you an idiot if you are building more

nuclear plants in that area).

Songie, before you gallop away on your apocalyptic anti-nuclear horse, allow this "idiot" to point out that "Manhattan Project" only referred to a national effort -- in WW II, to create an atomic bomb. Not something this "idiot" approved of, much less appreciated incinerating two cities full of civilians.

I have seen several films, both American and Japanese, which documented in chilling detail the utter chaos -- political and military -- that reigned inside the Japanese Government after Hiroshima and before Nagasaki. It is useful to make some effort to acquaint oneself with the FACTS.

The US was not only ignorant of the situation inside Japan, but didn't condescend to investigate it. We only blindly insisted on the military mantra of "unconditional surrender". If our ultimatum had been couched with SOME understanding of what was going on -- don't tell me sources weren't available!! -- like not humiliating their Emperor-God -- hundreds of thousands more lives could have been spared, not to mention future generations affected by radiation.

As we know, after surrender, the U.S. turned over Japan to big business, which basically ran the country until some stirrings of democracy began to be felt.

How many are aware that dropping the bombs had little to do with forestalling a putative land invasion of Japan? They were on their asses already; no fuel, no food, no nuthin'. Ththere would have been relatively little resistance even by suicide, once the Emperor said give up.

Our GIs were told that dropping the bomb saved them from heavy casualties in a putative invasion. If I'd been a grunt at that time, believe me, I would have believed it!

What they, and the American people, were never told was that the bomb was rushed into production to hasten surrender before the Soviet Union could take part in the fighting, per their wartime agreement with the Allies. The last thing the US wanted was them Commie pinkos getting their toes into Japan -- or anywhere else. Never mind a few million "Japs" getting toasted, between the Tokyo firebombing (see also Dresden) and nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Years ago, I made a pilgrimage to Hiroshima to bow at the memorial of those innocents killed at 8:15 a.m.,just as the streets were full of children on their way to school.

Boys with their toys...

The point made by this "idiot" is that a full-scale national effort was behind the Bomb.

A similar full-scale effort to investigate and perfect scalable desalinization
is not only do-able, but of the utmost urgency.

HB (aka "the idiot"
[...]