Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default ,,,and the rains came...

On 03/01/2014 11:25 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
How many are aware that dropping the bombs had little to do with forestalling a putative land invasion of Japan? They were on their asses already; no fuel, no food, no nuthin'. Ththere would have been relatively little resistance even by suicide, once the Emperor said give up.

Our GIs were told that dropping the bomb saved them from heavy casualties in a putative invasion. If I'd been a grunt at that time, believe me, I would have believed it!

Hi Higgs,

My late mother-in-law worked on the Manhattan project. Everyone on
that project was HORRIFIED with what they were about to do. And, if
anyone tells you they were not aware of the situation in Japan, they
are lying to you. The decision was made based on the Japanese military
arming the civilian population -- women, children -- with wooden
knives to fight us hand to hand. They were not going to give up.
And it took two bombs, not one, before they did.

And the death count from those two bombs was actually lower than
the death count from our fire bomb attacks, which suffocated
thousands.

Have you read the prisoner counts from those islands we invaded
in the Pacific? 10, 14? We had to run soldiers over who where
out of ammunition with our tanks. They were fighting us with their
hands. This was the Japan we were about to invade.

A lot of people hate America. They spread a lot of b--- s---
around about us. We are not with out our problems. What makes
us different is that we do work on them.

-T