Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bill[_10_] Bill[_10_] is offline

Default Difficult to climb fencing

In message , David Hill
writes
On 02/03/2014 19:34, GB wrote:
On 02/03/2014 17:14, harryagain wrote:

Plant a row of brambles. Free, more effctive and legit compared with
barbed
wire.

Pyracantha is probably better. It's a real swine to cut through. The
real trouble is that the OP needs something instant.

In the real world if they could afford Pyracantha all round the
allotments they wouldn't worry about loosing a few odds and ends of
tools etc..
If you are going for a hedge then Hawthorn bought by the thousand bare
rooted. Offers security as well as flowers for bees etc and fruit for
the birds also nesting sites as it matures.

Seconded.

I planted about 40' of Hawthorn across the end of my garden about 15
years ago, a) because I like it and b) as an intruder barrier. The
first 4 or 5 years I was wishing it would grow a bit quicker, now at a
cut 12' high I wish it would slow down a bit!

The birds love it and it does make a good defence though.

--
Bill