Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bill[_10_] Bill[_10_] is offline

Default Difficult to climb fencing

In message , GB
writes

Pyracantha is probably better. It's a real swine to cut through. The
real trouble is that the OP needs something instant.

In the real world if they could afford Pyracantha all round the
allotments they wouldn't worry about loosing a few odds and ends of
tools etc..

I had no idea of the cost. The previous owners of our house planted it
as a shrub against a wall in the middle of our garden. Quite frankly,
anyone who wants to cut the bloody thing down and take it away is
welcome to have the whole bloody lot for cuttings, roots and all. I
suggest bringing armour and plenty of sticking plaster.

I had one Pyracantha beside a fence, it was vicious, I'm sure that it
jumped out and attacked me every time I walked past. There again I did
spend a few years trying to kill it. My wife liked it, so I had to be
subtle, heavily cutting it back at the end of each year had no effect.
Cutting everything above ground away had no effect. Eventually a
liberal dose of petrol finally killed it off.

But for anyone wanting a seriously vicious intruder deterrent it is
great, just don't expect it to be friendly towards you.
--
Bill