Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa Nyssa is offline

Default Here we go again

songbird wrote:

Nyssa wrote:
Derald wrote:

Well, my "rows" amounted to a four-foot double row.
Gonna leave the remaining ten plants in place, primarily
to see how they handle hot
weather. I'm thinking that, next year, five or six
plants will be more my speed, too.
Along with the bok choy, I'm trying a couple of other
new-to-me
stuff, too. Those that interest me most are celery and
a "new" variety of carrots.

I wish you luck with the celery.

me too!

I grew beautiful, plump and juicy celery in Michigan, but
my attempts in SE VA were a bust. Too stringy and thin
stalks. Between the long growing span of celery and the
heat here, celery wasn't happy and the results weren't
worth the effort and garden space.

aww...

Nyssa, who can't grow half of what she uses because it
won't grow here or the voles get it

do you like fennel? it is much quicker and easier
to grow.

this year i'm adding pak choi and fennel to the mix.
we'll see how they do in various locations, some with
competition and others with none, and a variety of
soil places and moisture levels.

songbird

I don't care for fennel, but I have grown bak choy
several times. I usually stick to the extra dwarf variety
for salads and the dwarf for use in stir fries and
soups.

I'd grow bak choy more often, but I'm the only one
who eats it. I can't give it away to the neighbors, ditto
any other Asian vegetable that I like, so I rarely grow
it anymore. It just rots since I can't use it all.

Nyssa, who needs to recruit neighbors who are more open
to "strange" foods