Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa Nyssa is offline

Default Here we go again

Derald wrote:

Nyssa wrote:

I'd grow bak choy more often, but I'm the only one
who eats it. I can't give it away to the neighbors, ditto
any other Asian vegetable that I like, so I rarely grow
it anymore. It just rots since I can't use it all.

Nyssa, who needs to recruit neighbors who are more open
to "strange" foods

So sneak it in as ingredient in something not overtly
"Asian".

Delicious sauteed lightly with garlic in olive oil;
replace spinach in quiche, meat "log" rolls, vegetarian
lasagna, etc.

Excellent substitute for spinace, although, the leaves
wilt down even more than does spinach, if you can believe
that.

DW is "experimenting" with freezing both stems and leaves
with an eye toward out-of-season use in dishes in which
texture doesn't matter much. Of course, since this is pak
choi's first time in my garden, I've no clue what the
"season" is down here but suspect the heat will slam it
pretty hard.

I'm single and live alone, so cooking with Asian
vegetables isn't a problem for *me* but my neighbors.
I'm surrounded by meat-and-potato types.

Yep, the hot weather will cause it to bolt almost
overnight, especially the extra dwarf stuff. You
have to use it when it's less than 2 inches tall...
or else.

Nyssa, who likes Asian food but can pass on Mexican
and most Italian stuff