Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fancy salad vegetables

In article ,
kay wrote:

'Nick Maclaren[_3_ Wrote:
;999331']In the past, I have tried both summer and winter purslane, and
neither have germinated well or produced much of a crop.
However, winter purslane did turn into a casual, but was never
large or numerous enough to be worth bothering with. This year,
I am trying agretti, but with no great hope of success. From its
requirements, I decided that samphire wouldn't thrive, but I
might be wrong.

Can't remember which one it is, but the purslane with the tiny blue
flowers enclosed in a "ruff" germinated very well for me and grew well
in a pot, then escaped and produced 6-8in high plants in the garden
which kept going for several years. Wet clay in a frost hollow.

I decided that they were too insipid to be worth bothering with.

BLUE flowers? I can't think of what that would be. Neither of
the purslanes would normally be described as insipid, in the way
that many salad vegetables are. I quite like lambs' lettuce,
which is pretty insipid, but it doesn't have blue flowers, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.