Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Difficult to climb fencing

"Martin" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote ...

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we
really need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use
any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for.

Having read the comments, yes, prickly plants will deter the casual thief
and vandal but the problem with allotments is it is no longer those people
causing the serious problems it's the determined professional thief with
pickup trucks and tools. If they come prepared to cut through a strong
metal
fence a prickly plant will be no problem, they will just chainsaw it, or
drive over it.
Get rid of the temptation and they won't be interested.

Our allotment is inside a high security area. It doesn't stop the very well
paid
people working there stealing tools and vegetables.

We don't keep any tools on our plot, not even a line. All we have ever got
is footprints as the villains walk across our plot to get to yet another
shed on someone else's.
On one visit by the thieves there was a strimmer, cordless electric drill, a
brand new large cultivator worth hundreds and a petrol generator as well as
other bits stashed by the gate ready to be collected, only I got their first
and called the Police. It's that potential income from the sheds that keeps
these people coming back time and again and why I say don't keep tools on
your site as a temptation.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.