Old 03-03-2014, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ,,,and the rains came...

Todd wrote:
On 03/03/2014 02:07 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:

Not a real good argument. Her is why I say so:

I work for a pump company, meaning wells. There are
rules as to how deep you well need to go so you
don't pick up harmful bacteria from surface water,
including dog poop from our lawns.

That is why a deep well with water from aquifer
with centuries old water in it is so pure.

I am much more confident of mother natures cleaning
mechanism than mans. I will drink the deep aquifer
water flowing out of Lake Tahoe centuries ago.
You can drink the reclaimed toilet water with all
the pharmaceuticals in it.

Our water here tastes better than any bottled water
I have ever come across. And yes, it may have been
dino **** at one time, but it has spent millions of
years percolating through the ground being cleaned
up by mother nature.

-T

So you don't trust science but only what is "natural", this is
just another way of expressing the same emotional reaction as
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww.

You ignore the fact that getting good water out of deep aquifers
is relatively uncommon worldwide, the majority of domestic
supply is from surface water. Cattle shit in the river at my
place which is the source of town water 15km downstream. You
ignore the cases (say in Europe) where so many people in
different countries use the big rivers for so many purposes they
are effectively sewers and yet those downstream must drink it as
there is nothing else. Recycled water is treated and quality tested
before going into
the system the same as any other. Water engineers and
microbiologists have been doing this for a long time it isn't
some new untried procedure. It is little wonder governments
cannot make sensible decisions when so many of their
constituents hold these irrational views. If it is any comfort
you are probably in the majority. D

Look up the history typhoid

Why? Please point out the relevance.

Hi David,

Typhoid was caused by toilet water. When this was
discovered, clean water became all the range and
stopped the disease.

A large number of diseases are caused by contamination of drinking
water with microbes, typhoid is just one. This is why all public
reticulated water needs both correct treatment and constant testing
to make sure the treatment is working regardless of its origin. How
do you suppose the people down river from me survive? Re-cycled
sewerage is no different from river or lake water except in the kind
of treatment. Apparently Singapore uses re-cycled sewerage and the
quality is said to be better than from other sources. There are
two reasons this is not (yet) common: cost is one, many users having
your reaction is the other. D

Hi David,

You hit it on the head with your treatment statement.
What I am mainly skeptical of is not the science of
the matter, but the human factor. Not willing to
risk my life on it.

Yet every time you drink urban water you do.

Just an interesting aside, I watched a documentary on
Netflix/Roku about the history of beer. Seems that was the
way Europe coped with Toilet Water before if discovered as
to why regular water killed everyone. So much so that
settlers in Jamestown refused to drink the pristine
water they had available and waited for beer to come
available.

Making beer IS a form of treatment, you are relying on the introduced yeast
to exclude the pathogens. Tea the same - due to boiling the water.