Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Here we go again

Nyssa wrote:
songbird wrote:

do you like fennel? it is much quicker and easier
to grow.

this year i'm adding pak choi and fennel to the mix.
we'll see how they do in various locations, some with
competition and others with none, and a variety of
soil places and moisture levels.

I don't care for fennel, but I have grown bak choy
several times. I usually stick to the extra dwarf variety
for salads and the dwarf for use in stir fries and
soups.

I'd grow bak choy more often, but I'm the only one
who eats it. I can't give it away to the neighbors, ditto
any other Asian vegetable that I like, so I rarely grow
it anymore. It just rots since I can't use it all.

Nyssa, who needs to recruit neighbors who are more open
to "strange" foods

hmm. good luck with that!

ah, too bad about the fennel as i think it is so
wimpy, especially when cooked that it doesn't really
take much like anything, similar enough to celery
for me to use it.

do you recall any other asian veggies you used to
grow in Michigan? (i'm in mid-michigan...) i'm mostly
looking for those that will self-perpetuate too and
those with firmer and larger leaves. i figure if i
can keep planting a mix of edibles here and they'll
take then it's a good food source if needed, and if
not needed i'll let it be bunny and worm food...

songbird