Old 05-03-2014, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

Default Disease resistant basil type?

"Ian" == Ian Gay writes:

Ian wrote:
"David" == David Hare-Scott writes:

David
wrote:
For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either
from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter
and died.

I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea
what type of seed might resist this please let me know.

I am starting seeds later this week.

Thanks,

David This does not sound like a "disease" to me. Basil is easy
to David grow in the right conditions and rarely gets diseases.

I was growing it here for 20 years with zero problems. Then two
years in a row I had the identical symptoms.

David Where are you in the world, what conditions does it grow in
David (daily sun, temperature, soil, water .....)?

5 miles west of Boston. Subject to rotation, in the same garden
as the mentioned 20 years.

David Could you post a photo?

Sorry, I should have taken some.

David David

Ian It might be fusarium, which is becoming a problem in North
Ian America.
Ian
http://www.richters.com/show.cgi?pag...d1273-300.html

Thank you. That might be it, I may have conflated light brown with
yellow.

What ever it is, it is persistent and nasty.

I did find the Nufar and one other that claim to be disease resistant.
I hope they work well, and I like the taste better than you did.

Thanks again.

Ian I have tried the nufar variety, and I think it is more
Ian resistant than ordinary sweet basil, but it's a bit too
Ian liquorice-flavoured for my taste. There are other resistant
Ian varieties around...

Ian Ian

Ian -- *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)