Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Chisholm Jim Chisholm is offline

Default Raised beds

On 05/03/2014 13:02, Pete C wrote:
On 05/03/2014 09:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Saxman wrote:

On 05/03/2014 07:36, Andy Burns wrote:

Looking at using new untreated oak sleepers direct onto topsoil, or
should I consider treated softwood instead?

Scaffold boards lined with some waterproof material?

I did wonder about lining the beds, either with weed membrane, or full
damp-proof membrane stuff. Most scaff boards I've seen look a little
"tatty".

The sleepers I'm looking at are actually half thickness at 200x50mm so
more like chunky boards anyway, I thought that would be strong enough,
and I'd fix the top board horizontally rather than vertically to make a
sturdier rail for parking bums on.

My question was more about the rot resistance of untreated oak v.s.
treated softwood.

Oak will outlive treated softwood by decades.

If your pocket is limitless...

I've used (free) damaged scaffold boards cut down to 1.6m lengths,
mitred at ends and loosely held in place by bits of (free) arris rail
banged into ground. Corners contained by 150mm square posts using bands
from ends of old scaffold boards.

Those gales will have made yet more bits of post and arris rail easily
available.

I don't expect easily replaced boards to last more than 5 years.

Jim