Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Raised beds

On 05/03/2014 16:01, Andy Burns wrote:
Pete C wrote:

On 05/03/2014 13:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Pete C wrote:

Oak will outlive treated softwood by decades.

Sorry, but that is so misleading as to be false.

Oak heartwood will outlast cheaply treated softwood by decades,
true, but oak sapwood will not last that long, and the most
aggressively treated softwoods (the old pressure-creosoted and
tanalised ones) will outlast oak heartwood by decades. What am
an not sure is how effective the tanalisation replacement is.

Sorry Nick, I was only repeating what I've seen on television.

Thanks all, the spec of the oak sleepers allows a maximum of one waney
edge, so could be sapwood, but I prefer the look of oak, will likely go
for it.

In direct contact with soil nothing's going to last that long