Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ,,,and the rains came...

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:43:34 AM UTC-8, Todd wrote:
On 03/03/2014 06:14 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Friday, February 28, 2014 11:25:22 PM UTC-8, Todd wrote:

On 02/28/2014 10:26 PM, songbird wrote:

not having to build nuclear

desalinization plants would be one of them (who

needs more chances at Fukushima?

Hi Songbird,

Do you know the death count on all of nuclear energy?

Can you compare it to dead coal miners or other

non-nuclear forms of energy? How about black lung?

If would help to make a good comparison. Every form of

energy has its risks. Nuclear has been pretty safe so

far.

By the way, the new designs for nuclear plants

are so safe that deliberate attempts to melt them

down (under safe controlled conditions) have failed.

With these, there will be no more Fukushimas.

Cite, Todd? Would be fascinated to read about these experiments.

TIA

HB

Hi Higgs,

I heard it on the radio (news announcement) and have read

it other places too.

Tried to find some reference with google, but was swamped

with all the Fuki stuff. It was a test on "small modular

reactor (SMR)" they were talking about.

My memory of the details was they took an SMR and put it

inside a big reactor dome and deliberately tried to get

it to meltdown.

This is the closest I found:

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/category/s...ular-reactors/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...actor-15484608

http://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/New...eactor-Designs

https://forms.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc...nt-des-bg.html

http://science.time.com/2013/08/05/a...n-new-designs/

As an engineer, I much like the new small designs. I have

always thought huge single designs were awkward. The SMR's are

designed to shut themselves down automatically. This is the

way it should have been done all along.

With lots of these all over, we could finally start cracking

hydrogen from water for our cars and homes. Fresh water from

the sea too.

Sorry I could not find a direct reference to the tests

I heard/read about. Trust me, I did hear/see them.

-T

Thanks,man. I looked up the references and absorbed as much as my tiny gardener's mind could handle.

One thing always pushed my "what if" button. What happens when a SMR reactor, designed to shut down automatically, fails? Is there backup? What kind.

The design for reactor buried underground sounded interesting, in terms of sparing nearby people & buildings. But could a failure trigger catastrophic earthquakes (I live in So. Calif, so earthquakes are always on our minds.)

Appreciate the research!

HB