Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Raised beds

On 06/03/2014 09:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

I have some tanalised posts that I put in 25-30 years ago, and
are still solid.

IME they rot at ground level because of prolonged contact with water,
but you can reduce the chances of that happening by having a concrete
base visible above ground and keeping the bases clear of vegetation.

Mine are directly in the ground, because using concrete means that
you can't plant climbers ar their base. But, yes, using a concrete
collar (it doesn't need to go down below 6-9") does help protect
weakly treated posts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That's pretty amazing