Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raised beds

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:49:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

David Hill wrote:

Why not use paving slabs or half slabs on edge to make the beds, they
will never rot

True, but partly for appearance, and partly because anything involving
conceting things into place takes me forever and does my back in - taken
me long enough to set round topped kerbing round two edges of the
garden, perhaps overkill, but they'll never move and end-up looking all
straggly toothed like the bricks set on edge I inherited.

Around here the farmers use chestnut or acacia for fence posts, because
it doesn't rot (well OK, it rots slowly and bugs don't like it). I know
this is widely practised in some places, e.g:

http://www.dorsetfencingsupplies.co....t_fencing.html

If I could find machined logs, I'd build it with that rather than the
oak. Probably less dear too.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy