Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Copper wire to deter algae in ponds

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:59:10 +0000, wrote:

I'm sure I have seen ponds and water features with copper coins thrown
in and still have algae floating in them, ok the copper comtent is
less than it used to be but there are a fair number of older ones
around.

'Coppers' should be re-named 'steels' these days. They're made of
steel, with only a thin copper coating, and have been for about 20
years. Due to the increasing value of scrap metal, the old 2p piece
contained 3p's worth of copper and was actually worth more as scrap
than it's face value! The steel ones are also magnetic, so you can
tell the proper copper ones using a magnet.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Chris that's rather like the present day Beer Kegs, worth more as scrap
metal so publicans are chaining their empties up if they are in such a
position to easily lift!!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com