Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] is offline

Default Copper wire to deter algae in ponds

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 11:06:01 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:13:06 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

A strip of bare copper wire along the ridge of a house roof is
supposed to keep the roof clear of moss.

Why keep it clear of moss?
Moss on the roof helps to keep the heat in.

It's usually a sign of a wet climate. Surely, a blanket of wet moss
would act as a small refrigerator :-)

The moss on my roof drains when the rain stops.

But apart from its rapid growth and water-damming properties, moss
tends to be rather acid and a build up can quite rapidly damage some
roof materials.

It hasn't caused any damage to my roof and it's been growing for about
50 years.

It didn't grow on my previous house roof because it was tiled. Some
tiles slipped or blew off occasionally. I can't help but think that
moss holds some roof materials in place.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com