Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Crystal ball gazing

In article ,
says...

I have tried twice in the past to get Tropaeolum speciosum
established, and failed dismally both times due to warm to hot,
dry periods during much of the summer. The recent cool, wet
ones (this is Cambridge) have made me think.

If I tried again, what chance would I have? Fat, slim, or
what?

I've grown it in cool wet Scotland. Just not in the places I planted
/wanted it. IME, if it graciously deigns not to die, it spends at least
a year lurking underground and burrowing to some more acceptable
location of its own choosing. Sods Law requires this is never where you
wanted it.

Having chosen a new abode it spends the rest of its life sending its
rebel teenage children on secret underground missions to find new places
and ways to annoy the gardener. They have all signed a suicide pact
should anyone try to tactfully relocate them.

Janet