Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default toilet paper rolls seed starters

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2014 6:29 AM, Frank wrote:
Wish I had seen this sooner. I had been using masking tape for
bottoms. Folding closure shown here is better:

http://oldermommystillyummy.com/2012...ing-green.html

I do about 8-10 cuts with scissors in a diagonal direction round the
bottom of my toot rolls and then snip off the points of the cuts and
fold the slashes inwards. I don't bother to interlace the cuts or use
any tape on the bottom at all. I just fold inwards.

Fran you haven't been around much lately, are you OK?

Yes, I'm fine David. Thank you for asking.

I had to have a minor medical procedure 2 and a half weeks ago and that
kept me quiet for a while. It was only minor repair work that I thought
I should have done before I got too old. Having it done now will make
my life easier as I did get older and more decrepit. I was also away
for all of December house-sitting for a relative who was having a stem
cell transplant.

And of course summer was a total washout what with the heat during the
day, (now officially the most hot days in the summer period ever), the
cold at night and the lack of rain. We have only just begun to get
tomatoes in the last 2 weeks when we should have had some at least 2
months ago. Nothing did well and of course we lost every single piece
of fruit on every tree due to an early hot Spring followed by the return
of the cold early Spring. The second summer of 2013 was a total washout
garden wise.

But I'm putting in stuff now hoping for a long Autumn (mostly leafy
greens) and even then I am going to buy large slabs of plastic and straw
bales and try to extent the growing season.

What has kept us amused is bee watching. We had so many in spring but
because of the dry summer we were asked by a friend to report on
sightings. We found the blue banded bees were active and that there
were still lots of honey bees around but they preferred certain plants
at different times of the day or flowering cycle. Watching them and
noting other insects, such as the various wasps has been very
interesting. I can gladly report that our garden has very good
biodiversity.