Old 10-03-2014, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default toilet paper rolls seed starters

On 9/03/2014 11:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 9/03/2014 6:29 AM, Frank wrote:
Wish I had seen this sooner. I had been using masking tape for
bottoms. Folding closure shown here is better:

http://oldermommystillyummy.com/2012...ing-green.html

I do about 8-10 cuts with scissors in a diagonal direction round the
bottom of my toot rolls and then snip off the points of the cuts and
fold the slashes inwards. I don't bother to interlace the cuts or use
any tape on the bottom at all. I just fold inwards.

I don't even do that . Cut 'em in half , stack 'em in a waterproof
container , fill with soil . By the time the seedlings are ready to
transplant the roots are a solid plug in the bottom . And often coming thru
the sides too !

I've done that too in the past but a change every now and then is as
good as a holiday.

It's amazing how many supermarket items can be recycled usefully in the
garden or in my hobbies. I've found that a flimsy lidded plastic
container that originally contained a certain pastry addiction, is just
perfect for storing prepared locks of fleece waiting for me to spin.
And then there is the plastic lid and base of one of the mixed salad
greens that we sometimes buy and which is perfect for seed starting
because it holds about 6 of the toilet tubes.....