Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Copper wire to deter algae in ponds

On 2014-03-08 19:50:51 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
In The Garden of Evening Mists, the woman learning from the Japanese
master is set to making balls out of copper strips. These are thrown
into the pond and sink. He tells her this is to deter algae. Has anyone
ever tried it and I wonder if it would work on the accursed duckweed?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Who would want to trhow a copper ball into hs/her sink?.....:-)

There's always one... ;-)

Anyway, meny years ago my bro'in-law ad a small pond which was pea
green with algae. By chance he came with me to a local pet shop/fish
shop where I bought some bags of Daphnea. He decided to get some for
the fish in his pond. He dumped his Daphnea into the water and within
two days the water was Gin clear. Amazing result.

Bill

This morning there were small oily streaks on the surface of one of the
ponds. We think that usually means the heron has come calling!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com