Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Crystal ball gazing

On 09/03/2014 16:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I have tried twice in the past to get Tropaeolum speciosum
established, and failed dismally both times due to warm to hot,
dry periods during much of the summer. The recent cool, wet
ones (this is Cambridge) have made me think.

If I tried again, what chance would I have? Fat, slim, or
what?

I'd have thought that this was a case for using a water retaining gel in
the soil when planting.

That would help a bit, but not for a dry spell lasting longer
than a week or so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well, it might do. It lasts surprisingly well. I'd be more worried that
it would remain too wet during the winter cold.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London