Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Neglecting Orchids

"Jeff Layman" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wroteIn

BobH says...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Well, not quite what I mean, but:

I have 2 Phal orchids, one of which I water about every 2 weeks
and lives in a warm room (and by the way has just 2 flowers
left on the spike after 8 months in flower), the other every 4
weeks (there's not so much root) and lives in a cooler room.

Now I have a sudden opportunity to go away for 5 or 6 weeks and
am wondering what is best to do?

Should I give them both a really heavy water before going?
Should I move them to a cold north facing room?
Should I stand them near a bowl of water?

Anything else?

Give them a good morning drink before you go but don't let them stand
in
water. Partially fill a bucket with water and stand the pot in that for
an
hour then take it out and drain.
A cooler room is OK but not a cold room. Moving the warm one into a
cooler
room should also initiate a new flower spike to grow.
They do love humidity so anything to increase that is fine as long as
it
does not get too cold.
Those big fleshy leaves are also storage organs so providing they are
firm
and fat the plants should be fine. Give them another good drink on your
return. It's always safest to water in the morning as water left lying
on
the leaves and especially in the crown overnight will cause rot.

Thanks Bob. Humidity is probably the main problem, I can not
see swmbo allowing a bowl of water placed on the sideboard next
to the orchid!

I've realised of course that the house will be a lot cooler
anyway as we'll turn the heating down low as we go away this
week.

If they are cool then raising the humidity isn't that important.
They used to say if you get the humidity right the wallpaper will fall
off
the wall. :-)

Would it be of any help to place the whole plant inside a clear polythene
bag (assuming you can find one which fits), and seal it? That way the
humidity would be kept up, and any water which condensed would eventually
run down inside the bag. Maybe it could be arranged so that this water
could find its way back into the pot.

Coupled with humidity they also need air movement, so no, that is not a good
suggestion. If you get the chance to see a proper orchid greenhouse you will
see fans causing slight movement to the leaves coupled with the very high
humidity.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.