Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

Default Disease resistant basil type?

"phorbin" == phorbin writes:

phorbin In article ,
phorbin says...

For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either
from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter and
died.

I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea
what type of seed might resist this please let me know.

I am starting seeds later this week.

Thanks,

phorbin We've been using tested seed from Richter's,
phorbin
http://www.richters.com/ which has a pretty good selection
phorbin and so far, so good.

phorbin Google search criteria: fusarium symptoms basil if that
phorbin doesn't catch it use: diseases symptoms basil

phorbin You should come up with enough images and info to help you
phorbin sort this out.

phorbin Basil fusarium's been known in NA for about 20 years... It
phorbin was first identified in Western Europe and Russia. It can
phorbin colonize other mints, which are unaffected and keep it
phorbin going.

phorbin Bloody imports.

And it persists in infected soil for years. That is what my
problem was. I am trying a couple of resistant types this year.

It is a bummer...

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)