Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawnmower time

In article ,
"Nthkentman" writes:
Electric mowers are for the occasional garden lawn mowing Sunday enthusiast,

I used to agree (having repaired a good many friends' ones).

However, if you go to a proper lawn mower stockist rather than
the sheds, you'll find induction motor mowers (rather than the
cheap universal motors used in most electric mowers), and I
now rate induction motors better than petrol ones - they have
exactly the right torque profile for mowing grass (whereas
the cheap universal electric motors are exactly the wrong
torque profile, and petrol is somewhere in the middle).
Note that the power rating of an induction motor mower will
often be somewhat lower for the same output power or cutting
width, as they're more efficient.

When I last bought one, the induction motor mower was the
most expensive of the choices (electric universal, electric
induction, petrol). However, it doesn't need the servicing
that a petrol mower needs, nor brush replacing of a
universal motor (although most universal motor mowers are
designed to be chucked out when the brushes wear out).

However, induction mowers were getting harder to find (people
won't pay the extra, not understanding the difference), and
it was some years ago since I last checked the market and
bought one.

--
Andrew Gabriel