Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Lawnmower time

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:34:48 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

We've had a pocket handkerchief for the last mumble years, but this
one's a little larger - about 50x25 metres.

I'm not really into stripes. Suggestions for a mower please?

Andy

Back in the day when I researched mowers the choice of rear roller or four
wheel was not to do with wanting stripes - you still get stripes(ish) with
a mower with four wheels.

The reason to chose a mower with a roller was if you wanted to cut close
to the edge or if you had awkward curves such as beds within parts of the
lawn.

The roller allows you to 'hang out' the rear of the mower over an edge and
cut the grass instead of dropping one wheel and digging in.

Alloy decks used to be the best - not fragile like plastic and not rusty
like steel.

My 'Harry' mower has done sterling service but AFAIK is no longer produced.

It has a plastic rear roller which I managed to smash quite
comprehensively by picking up a stone in the blades.

Cheers

Dave R