Old 13-03-2014, 01:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bill[_10_] Bill[_10_] is offline

Default Difficult to climb fencing

In message , charles
writes
Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a
moat would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with
brambles would be a good deterrent.

We have easy to climb fencing at one corner. The other side is higher
than ours. A couple of barrows of manure makes a nice squidgy landing
for anyone coming over there.

Was listening to an ex-burglar saying trellis along the top makes it much
harder, because it will break one way or another, and the noise attracts
attention, which is what they don't like.

when we got burgled some years ago, the noise of breaking glass and
splintering woodwork was considered by our nextdoor neighbour to be caused
by me cutting down a tree. This despite the facts that a) it was during
office hours and b) she was our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.

All too common unfortunately.

In a previous house my neighbour waved at the guy she had disturbed
forcing my patio doors, he said "hi" and seemed a nice guy. Luckily he
decided to make a quick retreat, my neighbour would have probably
offered him a cup of tea!

At my present house I had £15.000:00 of aluminium pump up radio masts
stolen and taken away on a flat bed truck. I know how they went because
another neighbour watched them and said, afterwards, how efficient and
hard working the 2 guys were.

Sometimes I do wonder if the crooks would have to wear black and white
striped tee shirts and carry a bag marked SWAG before any one thought
they were up to no good.
--
Bill