Old 13-03-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally, I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is
that okay to do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a
house, but according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6
mtrs, so I hope 2 mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay.
What do you think?

I think that would be a bit close to the house and not good for
either.

Also you have to consider the loss of light from its canopy when the
thing grows. It may shade windows in an annoying manner.

You don't say what rootstock it is on so it is hard to guess what the
actual size will be and I have found that some plants which grow small
at under 2m for me on heavy clay are rampant and 3+m elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. The printed blurb on the tag doesn't say anything
about the rootstock. It just says it's eventual height and spread will both
be about 2.7 mtrs.

Am I right in thinking that the roots of a tree generally spread about the
same amount as the branches?

The ground (beneath a thin layer of topsoil) is heavy clay, so hopefully
that will keep it in check. I think the roots will have a tough time
reaching the footings of the adjacent building. There is no chance of it
impinging on the neighbour's light.

Al