Old 14-03-2014, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"AL_n" wrote ...

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally,
I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house. Is that okay to
do? I would not plant a large-growing tree so close to a house, but
according to the tag, this tree will have a spread of 2.6 mtrs, so I
hope 2
mtrs away from the house's footings will be okay. What do you think?

Oh dear, Cox's are a devil to grow well (susceptible to almost
everything) and fruit (it needs a pollinator) and are best for commercial
planting where they can throw lots of chemicals at the trees. Good luck.

I thought it was one of those where some need pollinating and some don't,
Bob? Iow, confusing! They do seem to be prone to all the ills an apple
tree can suffer though!

There is a self fertile clone available but it's always specifically sold as
the Self Fertile variety, if it is just sold as Cox's then it won't be.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.