Old 14-03-2014, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
News[_2_] News[_2_] is offline

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

On 13/03/2014 17:38, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

My previous house had an apple tree trained espalier style up the
house wall. It had been there for about ten years.

I think OP could probably get away with it if there really is no other
place for it to go, but without knowing its type of rootstock, I don't
think I'd put it there (almost as much to do with potential light for it
as anything else).

I've got a Cox 'espaliered' against one of the sunnier walls of my
house. (Well, it's more 'shaped' than espaliered). It's been there
about 5 years (it was at least 4' tall when it went in and it is no more
than 5' now. Even if it wasn't shaped, I don't think it would be much
taller). It is on some sort of a dwarfing rootstock of some sort -
can't rmember the M number.

I have two other Cox that were already in the garden, and they are
considerably bigger - probably 10' tall and similar across - presumably
a less dwarfing rootstock.

I know some people don't like Cox' - the canker does weaken them a bit
and the mildew isn't pretty - but I just love the taste of them.

--
regards
andy