Old 15-03-2014, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default How close to a house can I plant an apple treee?

In article ,
says...

On 13/03/14 17:54, AL_n wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 13/03/2014 15:19, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Cox's Orange Pippin apple sapling the other day, and
ideally, I'd like to blant it about 6ft from a neighbour's house.

Am I right in thinking that the roots of a tree generally spread about the
same amount as the branches?

Only in some locations and some kinds of tree.

Willows, poplars, alder, root far beyond their canopy.

In a dry climate, or a hot dry summer, the roots will spread further to
find sufficient water.

A pruned tree (like apples) will not match its roots to the topgrowth
pruning.

The ground (beneath a thin layer of topsoil) is heavy clay, so hopefully
that will keep it in check. I think the roots will have a tough time
reaching the footings of the adjacent building. There is no chance of it
impinging on the neighbour's light.

Clay is generally rather nutritous and apple trees rather like it IME.
Roots rarely have a tough time unless completely contained. Indeed,
willows especially can send roots up to a verylongway.

Also, clay shrinks or expands according to water content..soil water
content is affected by trees taking it up... in some conditions house
foundations may be affected by clay shrinking/expanding.

Planting a deciduous tree in clay soil so close to your neighbour's
house foundations, flags up a potential problem for his property (and
his building insurance) which he's unlikely to ignore. IOW, a neighbour
dispute could arise right away.

Janet