Old 15-03-2014, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Slightly OT - odd potato reaction

On 15/03/2014 19:18, Spider wrote:
On 15/03/2014 17:07, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:29:10 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:41:08 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:32:23 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I
get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed
potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

When buying seed potatoes?

When peeling them under water!

When, just to be clear about it, only the *potato* is under water. Ergo,
I shall need neither snorkel or aqualung ;~).

There goes the picture of the face mask, snorkel and wet t shirt