Old 16-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Jon Morris

Default Marking Trees

Hello

I have a project where I would like to number a large number of trees, metal
tags become loose as the trees grow and become detached. I'm looking for a
product or system to permanently mark trees that is invisible to the naked
eye. UV or INFRA RED Paint....anything considered.

Best Regards

Jon Morris

Old 16-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Joe Zorzin

"Jon Morris" wrote in message
Hello

I have a project where I would like to number a large number of trees,

metal
tags become loose as the trees grow and become detached. I'm looking for a
product or system to permanently mark trees that is invisible to the naked
eye. UV or INFRA RED Paint....anything considered.

Why invisible?

Best Regards

Jon Morris

Old 16-11-2002, 05:45 PM
mhagen

Joe Zorzin wrote:

"Jon Morris" wrote in message

Hello

I have a project where I would like to number a large number of trees,

metal

tags become loose as the trees grow and become detached. I'm looking

for a
product or system to permanently mark trees that is invisible to the

naked
eye. UV or INFRA RED Paint....anything considered.

Why invisible?

Best Regards

Jon Morris

No such thing that I've heard of - however, metal tags will last quite a
while. You could also place a metal stake and then use a metal detector.
Have you thought of using mapping instead of marking? Mark an offset
point and record bearing and distance to sample trees.

Old 17-11-2002, 04:06 PM
K Davies

mhagen wrote:

snip

No such thing that I've heard of - however, metal tags will last quite
a while. You could also place a metal stake and then use a metal
detector. Have you thought of using mapping instead of marking? Mark
an offset point and record bearing and distance to sample trees.

Or use a GPS receiver and a GPS or GIS mapping program. But if the
canopy is very dense and high, it may be hard to get accurate readings.
Then it might be best to place metal stakes near the bases of the trees
and use the GPS *and* a metal detector to relocate sample trees.

Karl Davies

Old 17-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Jon Morris

Hi

Thanks for the responses...

Why invisible.....

The trees are in a public area owned by a large oil company. I am mapping

the area (approx 1500 trees) as part of a management system. Each tree needs

to be identifiable by a groundsman, as this is in a conservation area it

would be preferable to have the marking invisible without the aid of some

additional kit...e.g. UV lamp.... maybe a wild and fanciful idea, but I

have many customers who would be interested if this was possible.

Thanks again

Jon

Old 18-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:34:17 +0000 (UTC), "Jon Morris"
wrote:

I'm looking for a
product or system to permanently mark trees that is invisible to the naked
eye.

Two ides:

Some form of radio transponder. It's commercially available, and
doesn't need power supplied to it. I don't know their lifetimes for
long-term outdoor use, or how close you can place them without mutual
interference.

GPS and some logging software on a Palm or similar. You might need
DGPS if it's a closely-spaced plantation.