Old 02-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Forest Thinning

(Aozotorp) wrote in message ...
= Where??????

http://www.americanlands.org/images/afcut.jpg

Ugly, yes but, not bad for a private industry clearcut with no visible
erosion.

http://www.americanlands.org/images/nwcuts.gif

http://www.americanlands.org/images/cutstream.jpg

I do see pieces of logs and a rootwad/stump but no stumps are
otherwise visible in what looks like a large burn. What is this
picture supposed to be showing?
The cut pieces COULD be from "contour felling", designed to hold soil
in place with small logs on steeper ground.

http://www.americanlands.org/images/weyer3.jpg

All at:

http://www.americanlands.org/

Brought to you by the people who supply form letters to protest
clearcutting in our National Forest Roadless Areas. (People actually
filled out some of those bogus form letters without first checking to
see if that really happened. Some people will believe ANYTHING!)

Yes, clearcutting is mostly bad. It doesn't take an Einstein or even a
Pee Wee Herman to figure that one out. Maybe if the pictures had some
accompanying text they might accomplish what they were trying to do.

And yes, there ARE private timber companies who practice uneven-aged
management in their own forests.

Larry a true environmentalist
Old 02-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Donald L Ferrt

(Larry Harrell) wrote in message . com...
(Aozotorp) wrote in message ...
= Where??????

http://www.americanlands.org/images/afcut.jpg

Ugly, yes but, not bad for a private industry clearcut with no visible
erosion.

http://www.americanlands.org/images/nwcuts.gif

http://www.americanlands.org/images/cutstream.jpg

I do see pieces of logs and a rootwad/stump but no stumps are
otherwise visible in what looks like a large burn. What is this
picture supposed to be showing?
The cut pieces COULD be from "contour felling", designed to hold soil
in place with small logs on steeper ground.

Suppose to show cutting right down and into stream beds = Not good
foresty practice to the true ly trained Forester

http://www.americanlands.org/images/weyer3.jpg

All at:

http://www.americanlands.org/

Brought to you by the people who supply form letters to protest
clearcutting in our National Forest Roadless Areas. (People actually
filled out some of those bogus form letters without first checking to
see if that really happened. Some people will believe ANYTHING!)

Yes, clearcutting is mostly bad. It doesn't take an Einstein or even a
Pee Wee Herman to figure that one out. Maybe if the pictures had some
accompanying text they might accomplish what they were trying to do.

And yes, there ARE private timber companies who practice uneven-aged
management in their own forests.

Larry a true environmentalist

But unlike anything you do = They have pics you can look at to observe
the effects = Surely your industry friends can provide same!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Larry Harrell

(Donald L Ferrt) wrote in message . com...
I do see pieces of logs and a rootwad/stump but no stumps are
otherwise visible in what looks like a large burn. What is this
picture supposed to be showing?
The cut pieces COULD be from "contour felling", designed to hold soil
in place with small logs on steeper ground.

Suppose to show cutting right down and into stream beds = Not good
foresty practice to the true ly trained Forester

Then why isn't there a visible stump still in the ground? Yes, I do
know the laws and Best Management Practices. I have also seen pictures
of stumps in riparian zones on the front page of a newspaper. It's too
bad that they didn't show the road that was right next to it as well.
(The stump was from a hazard tree that HAD to be felled for safety
reasons.)

http://www.americanlands.org/images/weyer3.jpg

All at:

http://www.americanlands.org/

Brought to you by the people who supply form letters to protest
clearcutting in our National Forest Roadless Areas. (People actually
filled out some of those bogus form letters without first checking to
see if that really happened. Some people will believe ANYTHING!)

Yes, clearcutting is mostly bad. It doesn't take an Einstein or even a
Pee Wee Herman to figure that one out. Maybe if the pictures had some
accompanying text they might accomplish what they were trying to do.

And yes, there ARE private timber companies who practice uneven-aged
management in their own forests.

Larry a true environmentalist

But unlike anything you do = They have pics you can look at to observe
the effects = Surely your industry friends can provide same!

Maybe you have forgotten that I AM a published photographer and have
pictures of my own. Plus, the private timber industry isn't a friend
of mine. However, Collins Pine has a great website and I believe it is
at: www.collinswood.com

Or, you can go to www.foreststewardsguild.com If that's not the
right URL, do a search

My website may be still up at: www.lhfotoware.com