Old 23-06-2003, 05:44 PM
~ rob ~

Default Children's question, how many trees cut down annually?

The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Joe Shmoe

~ rob ~ wrote:

The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Out of the mouths of babes.... You gotta love kids.

I don't think you'll get an answer to this question that has any factual
backing. No one -in my part of the world- performs a stem count after
harvesting. You could use the cruise report to get an estimate of the
number of trees - but a cruise wouldn't tally the small (real small) trees
so they'd be missed in the count.

In most part of the world, the trees are just cut and burned to make way
for farmland so they're never counted. I read once that an estimated 100
trees were cut done every minute in the world's rain forests. Again, just a
guess.

I don't know. Now that's a fact!

Joe
Old 24-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Geoff Kegerreis

Now this is an impossible question to answer with any detail of precision
which I absolutely know to be true, because I cut down trees on my own
property and do not know exactly how many it was!!!

Direct your question to the U.N. (not joking as much as you might
think)...H. Gyde Lund might have an estimation for you, as I believe he is
the expert on matters of such HUGE undertakings!

His website is he

http://home.att.net/~gklund/

Warm regards,

Geoff Kegerreis
Timberline Forestry Consulting LLC

Old 24-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Larry Harrell

" ~ rob ~" wrote in message . ca...
The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Another important question is: How many trees were considered to be
cut and weren't?

The public never considers THAT question. Forest Service Chief
Bosworth is wanting to focus on what will still be left out there
instead of what is being cut for forest health. The larger trees that
will need to be cut to offset the costs of "treating" the small tree
understory. Those larger trees should also be the worst of their size
class, leaving the superior trees to be bigger and healthier in the
future.

In some parts of the world, the wood to cook their meals is more
precious than the food they eat. Many third world countries have very
little forestlands anymore, having been cut for fuel years ago. Other
countries cut their own timber to sell to the US, fueling our
voracious need for wood products and our selfish penchant for
NIMBYism. Can Russian timber and their introduced insects be waiting
to invade America next?

Educate your children about their National Forests and get involved
with what is being taught in school by teachers with slanted views.
The Forest Service needs to "teach" the teachers. My old Ranger
District used to have a day for teachers to go out into the woods on a
field trip and can ask any questions they want of real USFS Foresters.

Oops....sorry....I sorta got off on a tangent G

Larry
Old 24-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

Larry Harrell wrote:

" ~ rob ~" wrote in message . ca...
The kids were wondering how many trees are cut down each year on earth.

Another important question is: How many trees were considered to be
cut and weren't?

The public never considers THAT question. Forest Service Chief
Bosworth is wanting to focus on what will still be left out there
instead of what is being cut for forest health. The larger trees that
will need to be cut to offset the costs of "treating" the small tree
understory. Those larger trees should also be the worst of their size
class, leaving the superior trees to be bigger and healthier in the
future.

VERY WELL SAID!!!! GK

In some parts of the world, the wood to cook their meals is more
precious than the food they eat. Many third world countries have very
little forestlands anymore, having been cut for fuel years ago. Other
countries cut their own timber to sell to the US, fueling our
voracious need for wood products and our selfish penchant for
NIMBYism. Can Russian timber and their introduced insects be waiting
to invade America next?

Educate your children about their National Forests and get involved
with what is being taught in school by teachers with slanted views.
The Forest Service needs to "teach" the teachers. My old Ranger
District used to have a day for teachers to go out into the woods on a
field trip and can ask any questions they want of real USFS Foresters.

Larry, what is a "fake" USFS forester? A paper pusher?

Just curious. :-)

Geoff Kegerreis

Old 25-06-2003, 05:32 PM
mike hagen

Oops....sorry....I sorta got off on a tangent G

Larry

Gee, Larry. Did you just join the SAF? {

This question came up a few years ago and there was actually some fairly
solid information. Gyde Lund is a keyword to use in addition to forest
cover loss. The UN keeps track of world forest cover (not exactly the
same question). Do a Google!