Old 26-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Richard and Michelle

Default Power pruner brand recommendation??

Know of a good one?
Thanks,
Richard

Old 27-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Tim J. Johson

"Richard and Michelle" wrote in message thlink.net...
Know of a good one?

I bought the Stihl HT 75 a while back. It's pricey, real pricey.
$550. But it does a terrific job. I really wish I would have bit the
bullet earlier and bought one a few years ago.

Echo's is also a great machine, but in my area there is only one Echo
dealer and there are three Stihl dealers, so I feel I have better
support if I need a part, repair, or something goes wrong.

Also looked at the Husky, which is $50 cheaper, but the Husky/Stihl
dealer told me that he would take the Stihl over the Husky (he also
recommends Husky brushcutters over Stihl brushcutters and he says it's
a "wash" between Husky and Stihl saws).

So, I would say Stihl or Echo.

If you do get one, pay the extra and get the top of the line. You'll
get better reach and more power.
Old 28-08-2003, 03:25 AM
Richard and Michelle

Thanks for the replies
So, I would say Stihl or Echo.

That makes it easier , because we have several dealers here who carry both
brands.

If you do get one, pay the extra and get the top of the line. You'll
get better reach and more power.

Is the extension type (telescoping handle) a bigger service or longevity
issue? Is that feature well designed enough to be serviceable? I have been
looking at the one piece handle for fear the more complicated version would
be more hassle. It sure would be nice to reach higher.

Richard

Old 28-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Tim J. Johson

Is the extension type (telescoping handle) a bigger service or longevity
issue? Is that feature well designed enough to be serviceable? I have been
looking at the one piece handle for fear the more complicated version would
be more hassle. It sure would be nice to reach higher.

When I was shopping, I went to the local Echo dealer, a dealer that
sells only Stihl and a third dealer who sells both Husky and Stihl.

The Stihl-only dealer told me that the extension tube on Stihl's HT75
is "triple-walled," but warned that regardless, when you get it fully
extended it gives the sawyer a great deal of leverage and that it is
very easy to bend the bar itself, the tube, etc.

He warned to take extra to assure no "pinching" even to making
"notched" kerfs, undercuts, etc. to assure that there would be no
hangups -- of course that is good advice for any saw work, but it is
especially important with the pole pruners.

He said never, under any circumstances, try to push/pull a hung-up saw
out of a cut.

That scared me a bit, so when I went to the Husky/Stihl combo dealer,
quizzed him a bit. Amazingly, although he has a couple of them in
stock, he said he has NEVER sold a Husky power pole pruner. The Husky
is in pieces and doesn't telescope and most people feel that is a
disadvantage, he said. To get good length for the Husky you have to
buy a couple of extra "extensions" which puts the price up.

He said he has solds lots and lots of the Stihl over the years and has
very few problems with them, although he did talk about leverage,
bending the tube and bar, etc. But he said mostly it was the county
and school district crews, which a variety of different people using
the tool who mostly ran into trouble.

He said the telescoping tube was about as well made as it could be and
still maintain a manageable weight. I would imagine the same things
would hold true for the Echo, which as I mentioned before, seems to
also have a sterling reputation.

Also, as I mentioned, all of them have lesser power pruners that are a
couple of hundred dollars cheaper, but you don't get the reach with
them and they have smaller engines. Yes, it's pricey, but you
appreciate the fact that you bought the "big one," when that limb is
just out of reach.....

I am extremely happy with mine. But have only about 3 hours on it.
Half of that mostly "monkeying around for fun and education." This
fall, when the sap goes down is when it will get a real workout.

BTW, one Stihl dealer offered me a 5 percent discount if I paid by
cash or check, which on $550 added up to a slightly better price. You
might see if you can swing that with your folks.