Old 11-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Emma

Default caterpillars

How do I kill the caterpillars that are eating my gourmet lettuce I am
trying to grow. I want to use something that is natural and won't affect
the lettuce.
thanks

Old 11-03-2003, 05:23 AM
Greenie LeBrun

Emma wrote:

How do I kill the caterpillars that are eating my gourmet lettuce I am
trying to grow. I want to use something that is natural and won't affect
the lettuce.
thanks

Bacillus thuringensis (Dipel)
--

If it moves shoot it, if it doesn't chip it.

Don't bother replying via email I am a fictitious entity.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Greenie LeBrun

Emma wrote:

where the hell do i get that and how much does it cost?

Any good nursey or garden supply place like Brunnings etc. Dipel is a
stabilzed preparation of spores of the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis
which is an insect pathogen and is commonly used to control caterpillars
and mosquitos. Do a Google search on Bacillus thuringiensis for more
info.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Andrew

Emma wrote:

where the hell do i get that and how much does it cost?

You'll find Dipel at any nursery, garden centre, etc (you'll
even find it in the garden section at the local Kmart or Big
W). Costs around $10-$15 a pack. It's sold as sachets of dry
spores of a strain of BT. The bacterial strain commonly sold
is fairly specific to caterpillars (kills some species
better than others) and won't effect other insects even if
they eat the affected caterpillars.

Rife Caterpillars Zeppelin Australia 1 24-10-2003 02:12 PM
Caterpillars in sac in apple tree - photo David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 0 17-06-2003 03:08 PM
little green caterpillars? ratSenoL Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Berberis & caterpillars Judy Rigby United Kingdom 0 18-03-2003 08:44 AM
Caterpillars are amazing! Chris United Kingdom 7 08-12-2002 09:27 PM