Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Sue Couttie

Default Aquatic weed erradication

Hello.

I have a small dam I'm aiming to transform from cow watering hole to flourishing home for native flora and fauna.

In my enthusiasm I bought and planted into my dam a couple of plants from a local nursery:

a.. Sagittaria graminea - spreading very quickly, and almost impossible to dig up from the clay. I have since discovered this to be one of Australia's worst aquatic weeds.
b.. Myriophyllum aquaticum - Parrot's Feather - also spreading very quickly
Also, Paspalum is marching and swamping the banks of the dam and now alarmingly into the bed of the dam itself and Bullrushes have also appeared this year. Both are also extremely hard to erradicate by hand.

I had also added Nardoo which seems to have settled in successfully as well.

The dam teems with frogs, dragonflies and assorted insect life and is also visited by assorted birdlife.

My concern is that the dam will be choked with these very soon and I want to erradicate them as soon as possible without having an impact on the wildlife.

Can anyone advise me of some environmentally friendly ways of tackling what has become a minor ecological disaster in my own backyard?

Thanks.

Sue
Old 03-08-2005, 04:11 AM
HC

G'day Sue

Get a couple of geese!! Some years ago I used to breed both ducks and
geese and bought a house on acres that had reeds, salvinia and parrot's
feather in the dam. In a very short space of time the geese bit off all
the reeds and they never regenerated, mind you the dam looked a mess
with all the floating reed pieces but in time they disappeared. They
used to get the salvinia and parrot's feather in their beaks and didn't
like to eat it but would shake their heads and fling it onto the bank
where it died from being in the sun with no water.

Geese will also 'seal' the dam if it leaks....true!! Their droppings
are mostly chewed up grass and when they are swimming on the dam their
droppings since to the bottom, this forms a mat of chewed up grass and
prevents the dam from leaking.

Besides the above.......geese are lovely people, provided they have been
well treated. They should be sitting (or about to sit) on eggs now so
you should be able to get some goslings around end of Aug or Sept. Get
at least two, one will be too lonely......better still would be a trio,
if the person you are buying from can safely sex them. (Safely, in this
case means without doing any permanent injury to the gosling.)

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Sue Couttie

Thanks Bronwyn. Sounds interesting. Do the geese play havoc with the
frogs/insects etc as well as the pond plants?

Sue

Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 AM
HC

G'day Sue

Geese are grazing animals, they like good access to grass and will
happily mow your lawn while mulching. Unfortunately the have a bad
reputation but this is mostly caused by the way they have been treated
(as with any animal), that's why I suggest goslings or very young geese
so you can train them the way you wish.

They also like tidbits such as laying pellets which are good to entice
them into a yard at night if you are worried about stray dogs, foxes etc
although a mature gander will put up a good fight and while holding the
offender in his beak (with serated gums) he belts the living daylights
out of the attacker.

If your dam is big enough a floating platform is good protection for
them too.

A couple of ducks (real ducks, not Muscovies, which are genetically
geeese) will take care of the insects/frogs etc while also giving a good
supply of egs. Again take care with dogs/foxes/feral cats etc. There
are many different breeds of ducks, just depends if you want them for
table or eggs.

Ducks and geese are lovely people and I really miss mine since living
back in town.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)